Monthly Website Accessibility Lawsuit Recap
- 171 website accessibility lawsuits were filed in October.
- Consumer Staples, Consumer Discretionary and Food & Staples Retailing were targeted most.
- 6 Plaintiffs filed 42% of the month's website accessibility lawsuits.
- MARS KHAIMOV LAW, PLLC filed the most complaints in October with 32 lawsuits in New York.
- Most lawsuits (79%) were filed in New York with California coming in second at 16%
- None of the litigated Websites in October seemed to employ Third-party Overlay tools.
Stay up to date with our Monthly Lawsuit Recap
Lawsuits by Most-Targeted Industries
Consumer Staples33% (57)
Consumer Discretionary18% (32)
Food & Staples Retailing11% (19)
Consumer Services9% (16)
Consumer Durables & Apparel6% (11)
Consumer Staples, Consumer Discretionary and Food & Staples Retailing were targeted most in October with a combined total of 108 lawsuits (thats 63.15%)
Lawsuit Filings Per State
New York79% (136)
None of the litigated Websites in October seemed to employ Third-party Overlay tools.
Typically overlays, or widgets, apply a third-party's source code to the existing webpage in an effort to change the user experience by overriding or altering elements of the page. Overlays are often used in-place of manual identification and resolution of accessibility barriers. Because such overlays try to hide underlying accessibility issues, their effectiveness is debated and their use seems to promote the idea that website operators need not concern themselves with the accessibility of their webpages. There has been an increase in the number of lawsuits against websites that use third-party overlays.
Plaintiffs Who Filed the Most Lawsuits
RAFIA LAWAL is the most litigious website accessibility plaintiff, filing 18 lawsuits in October.
18 lawsuits filed
- LAWAL v. TWIN Z COMPANY, INC.
- LAWAL v. THE SPRUCE HOUSE, INC.
- LAWAL v. TEDDY SACK CORP.
- LAWAL v. SPOT INTERNATIONAL, INC.
- LAWAL v. SMOKE CARTEL, INC.
- LAWAL v. SALON SERVICES, LLC
- LAWAL v. ROSHAMBO BABY, INC.
- LAWAL v. ROBOT FACTORY, INC.
- LAWAL v. PRINCESS HOUSE, INC.
- LAWAL v. PLANETART, LLC
- LAWAL v. PARKER THATCH INC.
- LAWAL v. IN-N-OUT BURGERS
- LAWAL v. HOLLYWOOD TOYS AND COSTUMES, INC.
- LAWAL v. HB INNOVATIONS, INC.
- LAWAL v. GAME-SET-MATCH, INC.
- LAWAL v. ENSTROM CANDIES, INC.
- LAWAL v. EARTHBOUND HOLDING, LLC
- LAWAL v. EARTH’S ELEMENTS
14 lawsuits filed
- BROWN v. Volcom, LLC
- BROWN v. Un Deux Trois, Inc.
- BROWN v. Triquest, Inc.
- BROWN v. The Madden Corporation
- BROWN v. Sue Fisher King Co.
- BROWN v. Skybound, LLC
- BROWN v. Shumi Toys & Gifts, Inc.
- BROWN v. Shades of Afrika
- BROWN v. Sandy Spin Slade, Inc.
- BROWN v. My 12 Step Store, Inc.
- BROWN v. Music Box Attic, Inc.
- BROWN v. Maisie Jane’s California Sunshine Products, Inc.
- BROWN v. L’ovedbaby, LLC
- BROWN v. Castle Navigation, Inc.
14 lawsuits filed
- VELAZQUEZ v. THIRD EYE COMICS, INC.
- VELAZQUEZ v. THE SWANK AUGUSTA, LLC
- VELAZQUEZ v. MNS, LTD.
- VELAZQUEZ v. HUDSON GROUP (HG) RETAIL, LLC
- VELAZQUEZ v. GOT ALL YOUR MARBLES, LLC
- VELAZQUEZ v. EVERLAST WORLDWIDE, INC.
- VELAZQUEZ v. DUTCHMAN HOSPITALITY GROUP, INC.
- VELAZQUEZ v. DON ROBERTO JEWELERS, INC.
- VELAZQUEZ v. CAMILLE BECKMAN CORPORATION
- VELAZQUEZ v. BALLARD DESIGNS, INC.
- VELAZQUEZ v. ALPACA DIRECT, LLC
9 lawsuits filed
- CASTILLO v. THE KLUCKIN CHICKEN INC.
- CASTILLO v. LUXURY FLORAL DESIGN INC.
- CASTILLO v. HIRONORI HOLDINGS INC.
- CASTILLO v. GDA TAQUERIA DE ANDA, LLC
- CASTILLO v. DICKEY’S BARBECUE RESTAURANTS, INC.
- CASTILLO v. BOSSA NOVA GALLERIA GOURMET, INC.
- CASTILLO v. BACHI YAKI, INC
- CASTILLO v. ARIA KOREAN STREET FOOD, INC.
- CASTILLO v. APEX FOODS LLC
KEVIN YAN LUIS
9 lawsuits filed
- LUIS v. VDC USA, INC.
- LUIS v. SHARKCLEAN LLC
- LUIS v. PEAK PERFORMANCE LIFE LLC.
- LUIS v. PALEOVALLEY, LLC
- LUIS v. LIQUID IV, INC.
- LUIS v. FRAMEBRIDGE, INC.
- LUIS v. Drink LMNT, INC.
- LUIS v. BODYHEALTH.COM, LLC
- LUIS v. ANCESTRAL SUPPLEMENTS, LLC
Law Firms That Filed the Most Lawsuits
MARS KHAIMOV LAW, PLLCNew York
STEIN SAKS, PLLCNew York
MARCUS & ZELMAN, LLCNew York
MANNING LAW, APCCalifornia
GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATESNew York
MARS KHAIMOV LAW, PLLC filed the most complaints in October with 32 lawsuits in New York. STEIN SAKS, PLLC came in second place with 27 filings in New York.