December 2020Monthly Website Accessibility Lawsuit Recap
- 230 website accessibility lawsuits were filed in December, the most in any month this year.
- Consumer goods and apparel businesses were targeted with nearly 45% of lawsuits.
- New York continues to have the most lawsuits, now for the eighth straight month.
- One plaintiff filed more than 15% of total lawsuits.
Stay up to date with our
Monthly Lawsuit Recap
Lawsuits by Most-Targeted Industries
Consumer goods23% (54)
Food products13% (30)
Leisure products10% (23)
Consumer Goods continue to dominate the lion's share of the lawsuits filed, with Apparel not far behind. December also saw a resurgence of Beauty and Leisure Products suits, after both industries had been out of the top-five for a few months.
Lawsuit Filings per State
New York66% (152)
New York remains the most popular state for website accessibility lawsuits, now for the eighth straight month, as 152 cases were filed in the Empire State to close out the year. California continues in the two-spot, holding a large lead over the rest of the pack. Cases in Florida and Pennsylvania continue to trickle.
Accessibility Standards Specified
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) are the most popular and respected digital accessibility standards.
Out of 230 lawsuits, 134 specifically cite a lack of WCAG 2.1 compliance, 87 cite WCAG 2.0, and 37 cite Section 508. WCAG 2.1 was cemented as the go-forward standard in 2021.
- WCAG 2.0 was published in 2008 and was the industry standard for a full decade.
- WCAG 2.1 was published in 2018 and is now considered the industry standard. This latest version of WCAG added to but didn't remove anything from WCAG 2.0, making it backwards-compatible with its predecessor.
- Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a key digital accessibility law, requiring federal agencies to make their electronic and information technology (EIT) accessible to employees and the public.
Plaintiffs Who Filed the Most Lawsuits
Mr. Basic filed the most website accessibility lawsuits in September. His XY cases constitute the highest number of lawsuits filed by one individual for any month this year. Four of the five plaintiffs listed here reside in New York state, and all five utilized a different law firm. Mr. Blogalot retained the firm of Greasy and Murphy LLP for all 25 of his lawsuits.
35 lawsuits filed
- Sanchez v. Oliver Cabell, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Before Brands, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Coffee Meets Bagel, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Masimo Corporation
- Sanchez v. Genesis Motor America LLC
- Sanchez v. Rivian Automotive, LLC
- Sanchez v. PlanetArt LLC
- Sanchez v. Insight Enterprises, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Peeled Inc.
- Sanchez v. Casio America, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Grizzly Griptape LLC
- Sanchez v. CaliRides LLC
- Sanchez v. GourmetGiftBaskets.com, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Nissan North America, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Mohu, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Peavey Electronics Corporation
- Sanchez v. Peterbrooke Chocolate Factory, LLC
- Sanchez v. PhoneSoap LLC
- Sanchez v. Tonal Systems, Inc.
- Sanchez v. C. F. Martin & Co., Inc.
- Sanchez v. Gibson Brands, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Yamaha Guitar Group, Inc
- Sanchez v. Nikola Corporation
- Sanchez v. Priester's Pecans, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Arrow Electronics, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Les Mills United States Trading, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Martin Sidor Farms, Inc.
- Sanchez v. McKee Foods Corporation
- Sanchez v. Stillwater Designs and Audio, Inc.
- Sanchez v. InMusic Brands, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Bornstein Seafoods, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Consumer Cellular, Incorporated
- Sanchez v. Heath Ceramics, LTD.
- Sanchez v. Grip6 LLC
- Sanchez v. Germack Pistachio Company
26 lawsuits filed
- Quezada v. Motorola Mobility
- Quezada v. West Coast Safes, Inc.
- Quezada v. Dorel Juvenile Group, Inc.
- Quezada v. Cloud B, Inc.
- Quezada v. OluKai, LLC
- Quezada v. Snack It Forward, LLC
- Quezada v. Royal Hawaiian Macadamia Nut, Inc.
- Quezada v. Lassen & Hennigs Incorporated
- Quezada v. Del Sol Food Company Incorporated
- Quezada v. Berricle LLC
- Quezada v. Liberty Safe and Security Products, Inc.
- Quezada v. Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Corporation
- Quezada v. U.S. Wings, Inc.
- Quezada v. Weby Corp.
- Quezada v. Sensually Yours, Inc.
- Quezada v. Hawaii Coffee Company
- Quezada v. El Group, LLC
- Quezada v. LaLicious LLC
- Quezada v. Peak Design
- Quezada v. Daniel Defense, LLC
- Quezada v. Hamakua Macadamia Nut Company, Incorporated
- Quezada v. KC Hawaii
- Quezada v. Kevin, Inc.
- Quezada v. Universal Screen Arts, Inc.
- Quezada v. Benelli U.S.A. Corporation
- Quezada v. Neostrata Company, Inc.
16 lawsuits filed
- Angeles v. GP Knives, LLC
- Angeles v. Apollo Mattress, Inc.
- Angeles v. Zinus, Inc.
- Angeles v. Shoes For Crews, LLC
- Angeles v. Pipsnacks LLC
- Angeles v. Bon Bon Bon, LLC
- Angeles v. Brooklyn Bedding LLC
- Angeles v. Linens and Hutch, LLC
- Angeles v. Boker USA Inc.
- Angeles v. Blade HQ, LLC
- Angeles v. Spyderco, Inc.
- Angeles v. Exploramed NC7, Inc.
- Angeles v. Blank Label Group, Inc.
- Angeles v. Buff Bake, Inc.
- Angeles v. Crislu Corporation
- Angeles v. Grace Products, Inc.
11 lawsuits filed
- Monegro v. Sweet Street Desserts, Inc.
- Monegro v. Misen Inc.
- Monegro v. Preferred Popcorn, L.L.C.
- Monegro v. Grassroots Clothing, LLC
- Monegro v. Cuts Clothing, Inc.
- Monegro v. Pacific Market International, LLC
- Monegro v. Mikes Hot Honey, Inc.
- Monegro v. Chegg, Inc.
- Monegro v. XCVI INC
- Monegro v. School Zone Publishing Company
- Monegro v. SPLITS:59 LLC
11 lawsuits filed
- Gutierrez v. NARS Cosmetics, Inc.
- Gutierrez v. Target Corporation
- Gutierrez v. Trader Joe's Company
- Gutierrez v. Ross Dress For Less, Inc
- Gutierrez v. Marshalls of CA LLC
- Gutierrez v. Tilly's Inc.
- Gutierrez v. Rite Aid Corporation
- Gutierrez v. Buck Mason Inc.
- Gutierrez v. Oscar de la Renta LLC
- Gutierrez v. Johnny Rockets Group, Inc.
- Gutierrez v. Blaze Pizza Holdings LLC
Law Firms That Filed the Most Lawsuits
Cohen & MizrahiNew York
Mars Khaimov LawNew York
Beverly Hills Trials Attorneys P.C.California
Stein Saks, PLLCNew Jersey
Gottlieb and AssociatesNew York
Cohen & Mizrahi of New York returns to number-one. The 40 cases filed by Cohen & Mizrahi are the most cases we've ever recorded by a single firm in a single month, averaging over a case a day being filed by the firm.