September 2020Monthly Website Accessibility Lawsuit Recap
- 215 website accessibility lawsuits were filed, the first month in 2020 with more than 200 cases.
- Consumer goods and apparel industries remain the most targeted this year.
- New York had more lawsuits than every other state combined.
- WCAG 2.1 is the most-referenced standard in plaintiff complaints.
Stay up to date with our
Monthly Lawsuit Recap
Lawsuits by Most-Targeted Industries
Consumer Goods47% (101)
Hotel, restaurant and leisure9% (19)
Food products6% (12)
Professional services5% (10)
The Consumer Goods and Apparel industries have been in the top-two spots every month this year. This is the third straight month that Consumer Goods has gotten the top spot and the first time it passed 100 lawsuits.
Apparel remained steady as the second-most targeted industry with 28 lawsuits, while Hotel, Restaurant, and Leisure showed a steady rate of increase.
Lawsuit Filings per State
New York57% (122)
New York had the highest number of lawsuits for the fifth straight month. The 122 cases filed in New York were almost double that of California, which had 65 cases in September. Florida came in a distant third with 16 cases, followed by Colorado with seven. New York had more lawsuits than every other state combined in September.
Accessibility Standards Specified
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) are the most popular and respected digital accessibility standards.
Out of 215 lawsuits, 109 specifically cite a lack of WCAG 2.1 compliance and 89 cite WCAG 2.0. While WCAG 2.0 was the prevailing standard in 2019, 2020 lawsuits have shown that WCAG 2.1 is the new standard in plaintiff complaints.
- WCAG 2.0 was published in 2008 and was the industry standard for a full decade.
- WCAG 2.1 was published in 2018 and is now considered the industry standard. This latest version of WCAG added to but didn't remove anything from WCAG 2.0, making it backwards-compatible with its predecessor.
Plaintiffs Who Filed the Most Lawsuits
Josue Romero filed the most website accessibility lawsuits in September. His 25 cases constitute the highest number of lawsuits filed by one individual for any month this year. Four of the five plaintiffs listed here reside in New York state, and all five utilized a different law firm. Romero retained the firm of Cohen and Mizrahi LLP for all 25 of his lawsuits.
25 lawsuits filed
- Romero v. Vicosoft, Inc.
- Romero v. FuboTV, Inc.
- Romero v. Vara Corporation
- Romero v. Elysium Health, Inc.
- Romero v. Weiman Products LLC
- Romero v. The One Group, LLC
- Romero v. Commemorative Brands, Inc.
- Romero v. Bonakemi USA, Incorporated
- Romero v. The Kind Group LLC
- Romero v. Adiago Teas Inc.
- Romero v. L'Chef LLC
- Romero v. Standard Sales, Inc.
- Romero v. Global Intimates LLC
- Romero v. Palmetto Moon LLC
- Romero v. Extreme Consciousness Inc.
- Romero v. Reliefband Technologies LLC
- Romero v. ATM Collection Inc.
- Romero v. Allstar Products Group LLC
- Romero v. Kilwins Chocolates Franchise, Inc.
- Romero v. Direct Checks Unlimited Sales, Inc.
- Romero v. Bellacor.com Inc.
- Romero v. Parsons Xtreme Golf, LLC
- Romero v. Bake Me A Wish LLC
- Romero v. Primo Water Operations Inc.
- Romero v. M&M Wines Corp.
19 lawsuits filed
- Paguada v. Lee Michaels Fine Jewelers
- Paguada v. Dallas Cowboys Pro Shops L.P.
- Paguada v. Anacacho, Incorporated
- Paguada v. Tecovas, Inc.
- Paguada v. McCoy Corporation
- Paguada v. Salonceuticals Inc.
- Paguada v. Rimports LLC
- Paguada v. Iovate Health Sciences USA Inc.
- Paguada v. Evolutions Brands, Inc.
- Paguada v. Threebyone USA LLC
- Paguada v. Snak-King Corp.
- Paguada v. Toybox Labs, Inc.
- Paguada v. Little Passports, Inc.
- Paguada v. Aramark Sports and Entertainment Group LLC
- Paguada v. My Daily Choice Inc.
- Paguada v. Harris Originals of NY, Inc.
- Paguada v. Cosmetic Dermatology LLC
- Paguada v. Ful Ipco LLC
- Paguada v. Perfect Bar LLC
16 lawsuits filed
- Graciano v. Jumpsport, Inc.
- Graciano v. Galls, LLC
- Graciano v. Academy Ltd.
- Graciano v. Houzz Inc.
- Graciano v. Belami, Inc.
- Graciano v. Music123, Inc.
- Graciano v. Musician's Friend, Inc.
- Graciano v. Roomstogo.com, Inc.
- Graciano v. Full Source LLC
- Graciano v. Dunham's Athleisure Corporation
- Graciano v. Midway Arms, Inc.
- Graciano v. Holabird Sports, LLC
- Graciano v. Big 5 Sporting Goods Corporation
- Graciano v. Hibbett Sports Inc. Hibbett Sporting Goods, Inc.
- Graciano v. Joe's Sporting Goods-Ski Shop Inc.
- Graciano v. Reeds Jewelers Inc.
11 lawsuits filed
- Jaquez v. Dermpoint, Inc.
- Jaquez v. THGPP, LLC
- Jaquez v. The Glik Company
- Jaquez v. Zenlen Inc.
- Jaquez v. Agility Bed, Inc.
- Jaquez v. Crystal of America, Inc.
- Jaquez v. Starwest Botanicals, Inc.
- Jaquez v. Peerless-Premier Appliance Co.
- Jaquez v. Charlie's Soap Outlet, Inc.
- Jaquez v. Meyer Corporation, U.S.
- Jaquez v. Specialty Home Shopping LLC
10 lawsuits filed
- Luis Licea v. Decoart, Inc.
- Luis Licea, Et Al. v. Plushcare, Inc.
- Luis Licea v. Blink Health Inc.
- Luis Licea v. Hostgator.com LLC
- Luis Licea Et Al v. Miansai Inc.
- Luis Licea, Et Al. v. Heydoctor, LLC
- Luis Licea v. Onyx Enterprises Int'l. Corp.
- Luis Licea, Et Al. v. Sweet Maria's Coffee Inc.
- Licea v. Chegg, Inc.
- Licea v. Genesco, Inc.
Law Firms That Filed the Most Lawsuits
Pacific Trial Attorneys
Cohen & Mizrahi
Gottlieb and Associates
Mars Khaimov Law
Stein Saks, PLLC
The 37 lawsuits filed by Pacific Trial Attorneys in California were the most suits filed by a single firm in any one month this year. Three of firms listed here are based in New York, which is not surprising given the prominence of cases filed in New York. The five firms listed also filed the most lawsuits in August.