Monthly Website Accessibility Lawsuit Recap
- 194 website accessibility lawsuits were filed in June.
- Consumer Staples, Consumer Discretionary and Software & Services were targeted most.
- 5 Plaintiffs filed 40% of the month's website accessibility lawsuits.
- COHEN & MIZRAHI LLP filed the most complaints in June with 28 lawsuits in New York.
- Most lawsuits (61%) were filed in New York with California coming in second at 30%
- We detected that 6% of litigated websites in June are using a Third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Stay up to date with our Monthly Lawsuit Recap
Lawsuits by Most-Targeted Industries
Consumer Staples15% (31)
Consumer Discretionary11% (22)
Software & Services11% (22)
Consumer Services9% (19)
Consumer Staples, Consumer Discretionary and Software & Services were targeted most in June with a combined total of 75 lawsuits (38.66%)
Lawsuit Filings Per State
New York61% (119)
We detected that 6% of litigated websites in June are using a third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Typically overlays, or widgets, apply the third-party’s source code to the existing code of the host website in an effort to change the user experience by overriding or adding to the existing code. Overlays are often added instead of manually identifying or resolving accessibility barriers in a website’s code and design, which would generally occur during an audit or test from an accessibility subject matter expert. By not addressing the underlying cause of accessibility barriers, the effectiveness of overlays has been debated. There has also been an increase in the number of lawsuits against websites that use third-party overlays.
Plaintiffs Who Filed the Most Lawsuits
DOMINGO PASCUAL is the most litigious website accessibility plaintiff, filing 28 lawsuits in June.
28 lawsuits filed
- PASCUAL v. TURO INC.
- PASCUAL v. TLM RESEARCH LABS LLC
- PASCUAL v. STRAIGHT SMILE, LLC
- PASCUAL v. SIMPLY GUM, INC.
- PASCUAL v. SAMCART, INC.
- PASCUAL v. RXR 810 FULTON OWNER LLC
- PASCUAL v. PARSLEY HEALTH, INC.
- PASCUAL v. NABC, INC.
- PASCUAL v. M1 HOLDINGS INC.
- PASCUAL v. LEVY ELECTRIC INC.
- PASCUAL v. KATIONX CORP.
- PASCUAL v. ISITE ENTERPRISES, INC.
- PASCUAL v. HUMM KOMBUCHA LLC
- PASCUAL v. HONEST PAWS LLC.
- PASCUAL v. GENESIS FINANCIAL SERVICES, INC.
- PASCUAL v. GENERAL MILLS, INC.
- PASCUAL v. FIGURE TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
- PASCUAL v. ETERNAL BEVERAGES, INC.
- PASCUAL v. EDIE PARKER LLC
- PASCUAL v. ECWID, INC.
- PASCUAL v. EB GOLF MEDIA LLC
- PASCUAL v. DREAMSTIME.COM, LLC
- PASCUAL v. DIVINE FOODS, INC.
- PASCUAL v. DEPOSITPHOTOS INC.
- PASCUAL v. BEYOND MEAT, INC.
- PASCUAL v. AQUOR WATER SYSTEMS, INC.
- PASCUAL v. ALKALINE 88, LLC
16 lawsuits filed
- QUEZADA v. WORTHY FLAVORS, LLC
- QUEZADA v. WILD EARTH, INC.
- QUEZADA v. TRUECAR, INC.
- QUEZADA v. TREATS UNLEASHED, INC.
- QUEZADA v. TRAVELPARK LLC
- QUEZADA v. THE HONEY POT COMPANY (DE), LLC
- QUEZADA v. STORYVILLE COFFEE COMPANY LLC
- QUEZADA v. SNACKLINS, INC.
- QUEZADA v. SCHLEICH USA INC.
- QUEZADA v. QC SUPPLY, LLC
- QUEZADA v. PROLLERGY CORPORATION
- QUEZADA v. PLAZA MOTORS OF BROOKLYN, INC.
- QUEZADA v. PLASTIC RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
- QUEZADA v. PLAQUEMAKER.COM, INC.
- QUEZADA v. MILKY WAY INTERNATIONAL TRADING CORPORATION
- QUEZADA v. JUKA INNOVATIONS CORPORATION
14 lawsuits filed
- ANGELES v. WHIMSTAY, INC.
- ANGELES v. WELLNERGIZE CORPORATION
- ANGELES v. TOOLOTS, INC.
- ANGELES v. THE BOOK PEOPLE INC.
- ANGELES v. STX, LLC
- ANGELES v. SEND A CAKE LLC
- ANGELES v. RED LAND COTTON, LLC
- ANGELES v. PUREFORMULAS, INC.
- ANGELES v. POWELL’S BOOKS, INC.
- ANGELES v. POLITICS AND PROSE INC.
- ANGELES v. METHOD PRODUCTS, PBC
- ANGELES v. KODIAK CAKES, LLC
- ANGELES v. BURPY, INC.
- ANGELES v. APARTMENT LIST, INC.
11 lawsuits filed
- ROMAN v. SCONZA CANDY COMPANY
- ROMAN v. ODA PRIMARY HEALTH CARE NETWORK, INC.
- ROMAN v. MCCREA CAPITAL ADVISORS INC.
- ROMAN v. LEPOZZI, INC.
- ROMAN v. FRANKFORD CANDY LLC.
- ROMAN v. DOYLE & DOYLE VENTURES, INC.
- ROMAN v. COLONIAL HARDWARE CORP.
- ROMAN v. CENTURY MEDICAL AND DENTAL CENTER, INC.
- ROMAN v. BOUNKIT JEWELRY DESIGN, INC.
- ROMAN v. BEAUVINCE JEWELRY INC.
- ROMAN v. ANNA SHEFFIELD JEWELRY INC
Megan D. Erasmus
10 lawsuits filed
- Erasmus v. Robert T. Kimura, D.M.D., Inc.
- Erasmus v. Robert K. Maloney MD, Inc., a California Professional Corporation, dba Maloney-Shamie Vision Institute
- Erasmus v. Rebecca Fitzgerald, M.D., Inc.
- Erasmus v. Platinumcare LA
- Erasmus v. Kanodia MD, Incorporated, a California Professional Corporation, dba Kanodia Medspa
- Erasmus v. Gold Aesthetic Inc, dba iGlow Med Spa
- Erasmus v. Eye Physicians of Long Beach, a Medical Group, Inc., a California Corporation
- Erasmus v. DSC Laser & Skincare Center, Inc.
- Erasmus v. D.A. Wallace, A Medical Corporation, dba LA Sight
Law Firms That Filed the Most Lawsuits
COHEN & MIZRAHI LLPNew York
GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATESNew York
PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS, APCCalifornia
MARS KHAIMOV LAW, PLLCNew York
STEIN SAKS, PLLCNew York
COHEN & MIZRAHI LLP filed the most complaints in June with 28 lawsuits in New York. GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATES came in second place with 27 filings in New York.