Monthly Website Accessibility Lawsuit Recap
- 176 website accessibility lawsuits were filed in July.
- Consumer Discretionary, Consumer Services and Food, Beverage & Tobacco were targeted most.
- 6 Plaintiffs filed 41% of the month's website accessibility lawsuits.
- MANNING LAW, APC filed the most complaints in July with 29 lawsuits in California.
- Most lawsuits (47%) were filed in New York with California coming in second at 45%
- We detected that 23% of litigated websites in July are using a Third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Stay up to date with our Monthly Lawsuit Recap
Lawsuits by Most-Targeted Industries
Consumer Discretionary15% (28)
Consumer Services15% (28)
Food, Beverage & Tobacco11% (20)
Consumer Staples10% (18)
Consumer Discretionary, Consumer Services and Food, Beverage & Tobacco were targeted most in July with a combined total of 76 lawsuits (thats 43.18%)
Lawsuit Filings Per State
New York47% (83)
We detected that 23% of litigated websites in July are using a Third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Typically overlays, or widgets, apply a third-party's source code to the existing webpage in an effort to change the user experience by overriding or altering elements of the page. Overlays are often used in place of manual identification and resolution of accessibility barriers. Because such overlays try to hide underlying accessibility issues, their effectiveness is debated and their use seems to promote the idea that website operators need not concern themselves with the accessibility of their web pages. There has been an increase in the number of lawsuits against websites that use third-party overlays.
From June to July, the number of lawsuits against websites that have third-party overlays has increased sevenfold.
Plaintiffs Who Filed the Most Lawsuits
KEVIN DAVIS is the most litigious website accessibility plaintiff, filing 19 lawsuits in July.
19 lawsuits filed
- DAVIS v. VIORI BEAUTY LLC
- DAVIS v. STATUE.COM, INC.
- DAVIS v. SILVER FERN FARMS USA LLC
- DAVIS v. PLANO SYNERGY HOLDING INC.
- DAVIS v. PICASSO STYLE, INC.
- DAVIS v. PEPPER GATE FOOTWEAR INC.
- DAVIS v. PANGAEA HOLDINGS INC.
- DAVIS v. EAGLEMOSS INC.
- DAVIS v. CRAILTAP, LLC
- DAVIS v. CONSENSYS SOFTWARE INC.
- DAVIS v. CLIQ PRODUCTS INC.
- DAVIS v. BLAZING BULL, INC.
- DAVIS v. BARUKAS, INC.
- DAVIS v. BAREFOOT SCIENCES, INC.
- DAVIS v. ARGO TEA, INC.
- DAVIS v. ALPHA FOODS LLC
- DAVIS v. AGROPEC TRADING, LLC.
13 lawsuits filed
- MAGENO v. TEAM BETTY ANN LLC
- MAGENO v. SESAME MEDITERRANEAN GRILL, INC.
- MAGENO v. SANCHO’S TACOS, INC
- MAGENO v. ROCK & ROLL PIZZA MOORPARK LLC,
- MAGENO v. NAAB CAFÉ INC.
- MAGENO v. MODO HAWAII LLC
- MAGENO v. LAZY DAISY CAFÉ, INC.
- MAGENO v. LA REINA MARKETS, LLC,
- MAGENO v. DOWNEY ON DRAFT LLC
- MAGENO v. CATCH OF LA OPERATING COMPANY LLC,
- MAGENO v. CASA MARTIN PROMENADE LLC
- MAGENO v. BOOHOO.COM USA, INC
- MAGENO v. 11 VENTURA, LLC
13 lawsuits filed
- LICEA v. WINE.COM, LLC
- LICEA v. SCRIBD, INC.
- LICEA v. REGIONS FINANCIAL CORPORATION
- LICEA v. OVERLAND SHEEPSKIN CO.
- LICEA v. LIVE-PURE, INC.
- LICEA v. FERRING PHARMACEUTICALS INC.
- LICEA v. DISCOUNT RAMPS.COM, LLC
- LICEA v. DEZEEN INC.
- LICEA v. DERIVE POWER, LLC
- LICEA v. BISSELL INC.
- LICEA v. BERNARD WATCH CO.
- LICEA v. ATLAS PET COMPANY LLC
- LICEA v. ASSURITY GROUP INC.
12 lawsuits filed
- STEVEZ v. SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
- STEVEZ v. ST. JOSEPH’S COLLEGE
- STEVEZ v. RUSSELL SAGE COLLEGE
- STEVEZ v. ROBERTS WESLEYAN COLLEGE
- STEVEZ v. PIERMONT WEALTH MANAGEMENT INC.
- STEVEZ v. PENN FOSTER, INC.
- STEVEZ v. NYACK COLLEGE
- STEVEZ v. HOUGHTON COLLEGE
- STEVEZ v. HILBERT COLLEGE
- STEVEZ v. EXCELSIOR COLLEGE
- STEVEZ v. DOMINICAN COLLEGE
- STEVEZ v. D’YOUVILLE COLLEGE
8 lawsuits filed
- PASCUAL v. USATESTPREP, LLC
- PASCUAL v. SCULLY & SCULLY, INC.
- PASCUAL v. METHOD TEST PREP, INC.
- PASCUAL v. MCCLURE’S PICKLES L.L.C.
- PASCUAL v. KATANA FITNESS INC.
- PASCUAL v. KAPLAN, INC.
- PASCUAL v. ERGATTA, INC.
- PASCUAL v. BURGER MAKER, INC.
Law Firms That Filed the Most Lawsuits
MANNING LAW, APCCalifornia
PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYSCalifornia
MARCUS & ZELMAN, LLCNew York
LIPSKY LOWE LLPNew York
GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATESNew York
MANNING LAW, APC filed the most complaints in July with 29 lawsuits in California. PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS came in second place with 24 filings in California.