Monthly Website Accessibility Lawsuit Recap
- 149 website accessibility lawsuits were filed in August.
- Consumer Discretionary, Consumer Staples and Software & Services were targeted most.
- 7 Plaintiffs filed 44% of the month's website accessibility lawsuits.
- PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS filed the most complaints in August with 36 lawsuits in California.
- Most lawsuits (54%) were filed in California with New York coming in second at 36%
- We detected that 19% of litigated websites in August are using a Third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Stay up to date with our Monthly Lawsuit Recap
Lawsuits by Most-Targeted Industries
Consumer Discretionary16% (25)
Consumer Staples14% (22)
Software & Services12% (18)
Consumer Services11% (17)
Consumer Durables & Apparel9% (14)
Consumer Discretionary, Consumer Staples and Software & Services were targeted most in August with a combined total of 65 lawsuits (thats 43.63%)
Lawsuit Filings Per State
New York36% (54)
We detected that 19% of litigated websites in August are using a Third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Typically overlays, or widgets, apply a third-party's source code to the existing webpage in an effort to change the user experience by overriding or altering elements of the page. Overlays are often used in-place of manual identification and resolution of accessibility barriers. Because such overlays try to hide underlying accessibility issues, their effectiveness is debated and their use seems to promote the idea that website operators need not concern themselves with the accessibility of their webpages. There has been an increase in the number of lawsuits against websites that use third-party overlays.
Plaintiffs Who Filed the Most Lawsuits
LUIS LICEA is the most litigious website accessibility plaintiff, filing 17 lawsuits in August.
17 lawsuits filed
- LICEA v. YARDI SYSTEMS, INC
- LICEA v. VECTRUS, INC.
- LICEA v. UNITIL CORPORATION
- LICEA v. TRUPANION, INC.
- LICEA v. TREVCO, INC.
- LICEA v. TACTILE SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY, INC.
- LICEA v. SUPERIOR GROUP OF COMPANIES, INC.
- LICEA v. SCHNEIDER NATIONAL, INC.
- LICEA v. SAFEHOLD INC.
- LICEA v. ROSS-TECH, LLC
- LICEA v. NOLI YOGA, INC.
- LICEA v. KEY TRONIC CORPORATION
- LICEA v. DROPBOX, INC.
- LICEA v. DEALNEWS.COM, INC.
- LICEA v. BERNHARDT FURNITURE COMPANY
- LICEA v. AMERITAS LIFE INSURANCE CORP.
- LICEA v. ALLIANZ LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY OF NORTH AMERICA
10 lawsuits filed
- GRACIANO v. SCHUBERT & SCHUBERT LLC
- GRACIANO v. ORIGINAL PAPERBACKS, INC.
- GRACIANO v. LUCY PARIS INC.
- GRACIANO v. JOHN ROBSHAW INC.
- GRACIANO v. JIGGY PUZZLES LLC
- GRACIANO v. GRACIA FASHION CORP.
- GRACIANO v. DAME PRODUCTS INC.
- GRACIANO v. BIGMOUTH INC.
- GRACIANO v. BERGHOFF INTERNATIONAL, INC.
- GRACIANO v. ALYK, INC.
9 lawsuits filed
- MARTINEZ v. YAMAZAKI USA INC.
- MARTINEZ v. TENCHA, LLC d/b/a Matcha Kari
- MARTINEZ v. NEXXT, INC.
- MARTINEZ v. MYLIFE.COM, INC.
- MARTINEZ v. MOLLY PICON LLC d/b/a Jack’s Wife Freda
- MARTINEZ v. LESSEREVIL LLC
- MARTINEZ v. INVITING FOODS LLC d/b/a Hilo Life
- MARTINEZ v. CENTO FINE FOODS, INC.
- MARTINEZ v. ANGRY ORCHARD CIDER COMPANY, LLC
8 lawsuits filed
- RENDON v. VIVINO, INC.
- RENDON v. URSTADT BIDDLE PROPERTIES INC.
- RENDON v. TYLER TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
- RENDON v. TUCK.COM, LLC
- RENDON v. TECHSTREET LLC
- RENDON v. SPINDRIFT BEVERAGE CO., INC.
- RENDON v. PENN MUTUAL LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY
- RENDON v. HEADOUT INC.
8 lawsuits filed
- MEJICO v. SLUMBERLAND, INC.
- MEJICO v. PROMISES BEHAVIORAL HEALTH, LLC
- MEJICO v. LEADING EDGE GIFTS LLC
- MEJICO v. JMB GLAMSQUAD, LLC
- MEJICO v. EMOTIV INC.
- MEJICO v. BULLHORN, INC.
- MEJICO v. BITTREX, INC.
- MEJICO v. BIBLIO, INC.
Law Firms That Filed the Most Lawsuits
PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYSCalifornia
GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATESNew York
WILSHIRE LAW FIRMCalifornia
SHAKED LAW GROUP, P.C.New York
MANNING LAW, APCCalifornia
PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS filed the most complaints in August with 36 lawsuits in California. GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATES came in second place with 20 filings in New York.