Monthly Website Accessibility Lawsuit Recap
- 136 website accessibility lawsuits were filed in September.
- Consumer Discretionary, Consumer Durables & Apparel and Consumer Staples were targeted most.
- 4 Plaintiffs filed 45% of the month's website accessibility lawsuits.
- PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS filed the most complaints in September with 42 lawsuits in California.
- Most lawsuits (47%) were filed in California with New York coming in second at 46%
- We detected that 14% of litigated websites in September are using a Third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Stay up to date with our Monthly Lawsuit Recap
Lawsuits by Most-Targeted Industries
Consumer Discretionary27% (37)
Consumer Durables & Apparel14% (20)
Consumer Staples11% (15)
Software & Services7% (10)
Consumer Discretionary, Consumer Durables & Apparel and Consumer Staples were targeted most in September with a combined total of 72 lawsuits (thats 52.95%)
Lawsuit Filings Per State
New York46% (63)
We detected that 14% of litigated websites in September are using a Third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Typically overlays, or widgets, apply a third-party's source code to the existing webpage in an effort to change the user experience by overriding or altering elements of the page. Overlays are often used in-place of manual identification and resolution of accessibility barriers. Because such overlays try to hide underlying accessibility issues, their effectiveness is debated and their use seems to promote the idea that website operators need not concern themselves with the accessibility of their webpages. There has been an increase in the number of lawsuits against websites that use third-party overlays.
Plaintiffs Who Filed the Most Lawsuits
RUSTY RENDON is the most litigious website accessibility plaintiff, filing 17 lawsuits in September.
17 lawsuits filed
- RENDON v. ZYNEX MEDICAL, INC.
- RENDON v. ZAZZLE INC.
- RENDON v. WHERE FOOD COMES FROM, INC.
- RENDON v. WEATHERFORD INTERNATIONAL PLC
- RENDON v. WAITR HOLDINGS INC.
- RENDON v. VIVINT, INC.
- RENDON v. VIAGOGO ENTERTAINMENT INC.
- RENDON v. SOLITON, INC.
- RENDON v. SALAD TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
- RENDON v. MASTERCARD INTERNATIONAL INCORPORATED
- RENDON v. KCS INTERNATIONAL INC.
- RENDON v. KANSAS CITY SOUTHERN, INC.
- RENDON v. KAMAN CORPORATION
- RENDON v. INVESCO LTD.
- RENDON v. DAPPS PLATFORM, INC.
- RENDON v. DAKINE EQUIPMENT, LLC
- RENDON v. BATTERY MART OF WINCHESTER, INC.
16 lawsuits filed
- CAMACHO v. WESTWOOD GALLERY, INC.
- CAMACHO v. THE MORTON GALLERY LLC
- CAMACHO v. STANEK STUDIOS & FINE ART GALLERIES LLC
- CAMACHO v. OCTAVIA ART AND FILM, L.L.C.
- CAMACHO v. MOBERG GALLERY, INC.
- CAMACHO v. LOWE GALLERIES, INC.
- CAMACHO v. INTERNATIONAL FINE ART DIRECT, LTD., LLC
- CAMACHO v. HELICLINE FINE ART, INC.
- CAMACHO v. GRAHAM SHAY 1857 INC.
- CAMACHO v. GALERIE D’ORSAY, LLC
- CAMACHO v. ETHAN COHEN FINE ARTS LLC
- CAMACHO v. DAVID BENRIMON FINE ART LLC
- CAMACHO v. CORRIDOR CONTEMPORARY LLC
- CAMACHO v. BLUE PRINT, LLC
- CAMACHO v. AXION GALLERY LLC
- CAMACHO v. ANITA SHAPOLSKY GALLERY, INC.
15 lawsuits filed
- LICEA v. VERRA MOBILITY CORPORATION
- LICEA v. VEEVA SYSTEMS INC.
- LICEA v. THE CLASSY HOME, LLC
- LICEA v. TANGER PROPERTIES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP
- LICEA v. TANDEM DIABETES CARE, INC.
- LICEA v. SPORTSMAN’S MARKET, INC.
- LICEA v. SOLARDEDGE TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
- LICEA v. LIVE OAK BANKING COMPANY
- LICEA v. KINGSTONE COMPANIES, INC.
- LICEA v. JUNIPER NETWORKS, INC.
- LICEA v. IZEA WORLDWIDE, INC.
- LICEA v. INDEPENDENT BANK CORPORATION
- LICEA v. HAHNEMANN LABORATORIES, INC.
- LICEA v. FINANCIAL INSIGHT TECHNOLOGY, INC.
- LICEA v. CHOWNOW, INC.
14 lawsuits filed
- CRUMWELL v. ZOE CHICCO, INC.
- CRUMWELL v. WEALTHSPIRE ADVISORS LLC
- CRUMWELL v. VITAMIN A ENTERPRISES, INC.
- CRUMWELL v. THE COOKWARE COMPANY (USA), LLC
- CRUMWELL v. S.A. KITSINIAN, INC.
- CRUMWELL v. RB HEALTH (US) LLC
- CRUMWELL v. PIPES & SHAW, LLC
- CRUMWELL v. OWN USA INC.
- CRUMWELL v. MERVIS DIAMOND CORPORATION
- CRUMWELL v. LUV AJ INC.
- CRUMWELL v. LAFCO ENTERPRISES, INC.
- CRUMWELL v. JASMIN LARIAN LLC
- CRUMWELL v. GOLD COAST CREATIONS, INC.
- CRUMWELL v. 7CS FASHION HOUSE, LLC
8 lawsuits filed
- MEJICO v. WHITEPAGES, INC.
- MEJICO v. WCG HEALTH MANAGEMENT, INC.
- MEJICO v. VITAMIN BOUNTY VENTURES INC.
- MEJICO v. SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT INC.
- MEJICO v. OWLER, INC.
- MEJICO v. KEEN, INC.
- MEJICO v. ELCO MUTUAL LIFE AND ANNUITY
- MEJICO v. ACT-ON SOFTWARE, INC.
Law Firms That Filed the Most Lawsuits
PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYSCalifornia
GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATESNew York
LIPSKY LOWE LLPNew York
WILSHIRE LAW FIRMCalifornia
SHAKED LAW GROUP, P.C.New York
PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS filed the most complaints in September with 42 lawsuits in California. GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATES came in second place with 35 filings in New York.