Monthly Website Accessibility Lawsuit Recap
- 162 website accessibility lawsuits were filed in October.
- Consumer Discretionary, Consumer Staples and Consumer Durables & Apparel were targeted most.
- 5 Plaintiffs filed 43% of the month's website accessibility lawsuits.
- PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS filed the most complaints in October with 44 lawsuits in California.
- Most lawsuits (46%) were filed in California with New York coming in second at 45%
- We detected that 16% of litigated websites in October are using a Third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Stay up to date with our Monthly Lawsuit Recap
Lawsuits by Most-Targeted Industries
Consumer Discretionary24% (39)
Consumer Staples13% (22)
Consumer Durables & Apparel12% (21)
Software & Services9% (16)
Health Care Equipment & Services9% (15)
Consumer Discretionary, Consumer Staples and Consumer Durables & Apparel were targeted most in October with a combined total of 82 lawsuits (thats 50.61%)
Lawsuit Filings Per State
New York45% (73)
We detected that 16% of litigated websites in October are using a Third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Typically overlays, or widgets, apply a third-party's source code to the existing webpage in an effort to change the user experience by overriding or altering elements of the page. Overlays are often used in-place of manual identification and resolution of accessibility barriers. Because such overlays try to hide underlying accessibility issues, their effectiveness is debated and their use seems to promote the idea that website operators need not concern themselves with the accessibility of their webpages. There has been an increase in the number of lawsuits against websites that use third-party overlays.
Plaintiffs Who Filed the Most Lawsuits
ARTURO ESTEVEZ is the most litigious website accessibility plaintiff, filing 23 lawsuits in October.
23 lawsuits filed
- ESTEVEZ v. WEAVER LEATHER, LLC
- ESTEVEZ v. THE AOS GROUP INC.
- ESTEVEZ v. SWADDLEDESIGNS, LLC
- ESTEVEZ v. RALLYUP.COM, INC
- ESTEVEZ v. OPTIC GAMING LOL, LLC
- ESTEVEZ v. OMAZE, INC
- ESTEVEZ v. OLIVE WREN, INC.
- ESTEVEZ v. MY GREEN MATTRESS INC.
- ESTEVEZ v. MONICA & ANDY, INC.
- ESTEVEZ v. JOE BRANDS, LLC
- ESTEVEZ v. GREENGEEKS LLC
- ESTEVEZ v. FROG HOLLOW FARM, LLC
- ESTEVEZ v. FAZE CLAN INC.
- ESTEVEZ v. ENVIROCON TECHNLOGIES INVESTMENTS, LLC
- ESTEVEZ v. EDEN BRANDS INC.
- ESTEVEZ v. DECORATOR’S WAREHOUSE MANAGEMENT, LLC
- ESTEVEZ v. CLOUD9 ESPORTS, INC.
- ESTEVEZ v. BLUEHOST INC.
- ESTEVEZ v. BELLA ROSE PASSION ESSENTIALS LLC
- ESTEVEZ v. APPLE PARK, LLC
- ESTEVEZ v. AMMO, INC.
- ESTEVEZ v. AMITY IMPORTS INC.
- ESTEVEZ v. ALIGN TECHNOLOGY, INC.
16 lawsuits filed
- LICEA v. UDEMY, INC.
- LICEA v. TOLL BROTHERS, INC.
- LICEA v. SWEET DREAMS MATTRESS, INC.
- LICEA v. NEST BEDDING, INC.
- LICEA v. MANCINI’S SLEEPWORLD, INC.
- LICEA v. LIFEVANTAGE CORPORATION
- LICEA v. INDIA BRAINS INFOTECH, LLC
- LICEA v. Healthy Back Brand Holdings, LLC
- LICEA v. GERTRUDE HAWK CHOCOLATES, INC.
- LICEA v. GARDNER WHITE FURNITURE CO.
- LICEA v. DEAL BEDS LLC
- LICEA v. BREDA, INC.
- LICEA v. Alastin Skincare, INC.
- LICEA v. AFM MATTRESS COMPANY LLC
- LICEA v. ADVANCED COMFORT TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
14 lawsuits filed
- RENDON v. WEYERHAEUSER COMPANY
- RENDON v. TRIMBLE INC.
- RENDON v. TICKPICK, LLC
- RENDON v. TICKETSONSALE.COM, LLC
- RENDON v. STLBEDS INC.
- RENDON v. STILT INC.
- RENDON v. SEPHORA USA, INC.
- RENDON v. SALON MEDIA GROUP, INC.
- RENDON v. MINT HOUSE INC.
- RENDON v. IVYCONNECT, INC.
- RENDON v. INTERFACE, INC.
- RENDON v. ETIX, INC.
- RENDON v. BLOSSOM BARIATRICS
9 lawsuits filed
- DUNCAN v. WELLA OPERATIONS US LLC
- DUNCAN v. SCOTT BARNES, INC.
- DUNCAN v. NEST BEDDING, INC.
- DUNCAN v. I.D. JEWELRY, LLC
- DUNCAN v. GEOSPACE INTERNATIONAL HOLDINGS, INC.
- DUNCAN v. GABRIEL BROS, INC.
- DUNCAN v. ELK GROUP INTERNATIONAL LLC,
- DUNCAN v. COCUS POCUS LLC
- DUNCAN v. CAPITAL TECHNOLOGY, INC.
9 lawsuits filed
- DELACRUZ v. TENDER CORPORATION
- DELACRUZ v. LUCKY FEATHER, LLC
- DELACRUZ v. LET’S GEL, INC.
- DELACRUZ v. JUSTBRAND LIMITED
- DELACRUZ v. ELEMENT SIX TECHNOLOGIES (OR) CORP.
- DELACRUZ v. AIRDOCTOR, LLC
- DELACRUZ v. ADOLPH KIEFER & ASSOCIATES
Law Firms That Filed the Most Lawsuits
PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYSCalifornia
GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATESNew York
MIZRAHI KROUB LLPNew York
CENTER FOR DISABILITY ACCESSCalifornia
LIPSKY LOWE LLPNew York
PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS filed the most complaints in October with 44 lawsuits in California. GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATES came in second place with 25 filings in New York.