Monthly Website Accessibility Lawsuit Recap
- 223 website accessibility lawsuits were filed in May.
- Consumer Staples, Retailing and Consumer Discretionary were targeted most.
- 8 Plaintiffs filed 42% of the month's website accessibility lawsuits.
- MIZRAHI KROUB LLP filed the most complaints in May with 69 lawsuits in New York.
- Most lawsuits (71%) were filed in New York with California coming in second at 23%
- None of the litigated Websites in May seemed to employ Third-party Overlay tools.
Stay up to date with our Monthly Lawsuit Recap
Lawsuits by Most-Targeted Industries
Consumer Staples24% (54)
Consumer Discretionary14% (33)
Consumer Durables & Apparel8% (18)
Consumer Services5% (12)
Consumer Staples, Retailing and Consumer Discretionary were targeted most in May with a combined total of 126 lawsuits (thats 56.51%)
Lawsuit Filings Per State
New York71% (160)
None of the litigated Websites in May seemed to employ Third-party Overlay tools.
Typically overlays, or widgets, apply a third-party's source code to the existing webpage in an effort to change the user experience by overriding or altering elements of the page. Overlays are often used in-place of manual identification and resolution of accessibility barriers. Because such overlays try to hide underlying accessibility issues, their effectiveness is debated and their use seems to promote the idea that website operators need not concern themselves with the accessibility of their webpages. There has been an increase in the number of lawsuits against websites that use third-party overlays.
Plaintiffs Who Filed the Most Lawsuits
ANA CHALAS is the most litigious website accessibility plaintiff, filing 20 lawsuits in May.
20 lawsuits filed
- CHALAS v. YASSO, INC.
- CHALAS v. SUPER73, INC.
- CHALAS v. SUGAR FREEDOM INC.
- CHALAS v. SONOMA CREAMERY, LLC
- CHALAS v. SOM FRIENDS INC.
- CHALAS v. SNACKS GENERATION INC.
- CHALAS v. SESAME, INC.
- CHALAS v. RUSSELL STOVER CHOCOLATES, LLC
- CHALAS v. RUNNING SUPPLY, INC.
- CHALAS v. RTZN BRANDS, LLC
- CHALAS v. PRINCE OF PEACE ENTERPRISES, INC.
- CHALAS v. MUNK PACK INC.
- CHALAS v. MINDED INC.
- CHALAS v. FOREVER B, LLC
- CHALAS v. FAMILY FOODS, INC.
- CHALAS v. FAB NUTRITION LLC
- CHALAS v. DURKEE-MOWER, INC.
- CHALAS v. BROOKLYN BILTONG LLC
- CHALAS v. BACK MARKET INC.
- CHALAS v. 34 DEGREES, LLC
13 lawsuits filed
- LICEA v. W. B. HUNT CO., INC.
- LICEA v. SPREETAIL DCC, LLC
- LICEA v. SONIC AUTOMOTIVE, INC.
- LICEA v. SHINHAN BANK AMERICA
- LICEA v. RIPLEY ENTERTAINMENT INC.
- LICEA v. PRE-PAID LEGAL SERVICES, INC.
- LICEA v. P.T. AUTOMOTIVE, LLC
- LICEA v. NZXT, INC.
- LICEA v. NETARTS HOLDINGS, INC.
- LICEA v. MEDICAL ADVOCATE, INC.
- LICEA v. CHUBB GROUP HOLDINGS, INC.
- LICEA v. CASTLE FOODS LLC
- LICEA v. BOODA ORGANICS, INC.
13 lawsuits filed
- ABREU v. WHITE WATER GEAR INC
- ABREU v. THE ORR GROUP, LLC
- ABREU v. THAT’S EPIC! LLC
- ABREU v. STELLATO ENTERPRISES INC.
- ABREU v. SPUN BAMBOO, LLC
- ABREU v. ROWDY BEVERAGE, INC.
- ABREU v. RIOT GAMES MERCHANDISE, INC.
- ABREU v. PG GOLF LLC
- ABREU v. MATCHABAR, INC.
- ABREU v. JACK WOLFSKIN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
- ABREU v. HILLERICH & BRADSBY CO.
- ABREU v. GNOMISH HAT, INC.
- ABREU v. FX LABS INC
12 lawsuits filed
- BROWN v. REMO, INC.
- BROWN v. Mixtiles USA, Inc.
- BROWN v. Marriott International, Inc.
- BROWN v. LFG CORPORATION
- BROWN v. Jv Enterprises of New York, Inc.
- BROWN v. John Paul Mitchell Systems, Inc.
- BROWN v. HIRT`S, LLC
- BROWN v. Grocery Delivery E-Services USA, Inc.
- BROWN v. DELL TECHNOLOGIES, Inc.
- BROWN v. Circle Graphics, Inc.
- BROWN v. BROTHER INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION
- BROWN v. BEST BUY CO, INC.
10 lawsuits filed
- MADDY v. The Dress Outlet, Inc.
- MADDY v. Saf-Gard Safety Shoe Co.
- MADDY v. ROGAN SHOES, INC.
- MADDY v. Perry Ellis International, Inc.
- MADDY v. Omg Miami Swimwear LLC
- MADDY v. Geneva Super Army & Navy Store, Inc.
- MADDY v. Dese Enterprise, Inc.
- MADDY v. BETENY TECHNOLOGY LTD
- MADDY v. Ash & Erie, Inc.
- MADDY v. A&J Distributing LLC
Law Firms That Filed the Most Lawsuits
MIZRAHI KROUB LLPNew York
PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS, APCCalifornia
STEIN SAKS, PLLCNew York
MARS KHAIMOV LAW, PLLCNew York
SHAKED LAW GROUP, P.C.New York
MIZRAHI KROUB LLP filed the most complaints in May with 69 lawsuits in New York. PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS, APC came in second place with 38 filings in California.