Monthly Website Accessibility Lawsuit Recap
- 187 website accessibility lawsuits were filed in May.
- Consumer Discretionary, Consumer Durables & Apparel and Consumer Staples were targeted most.
- Three plaintiffs filed 41% of the month's website accessibility lawsuits.
- COHEN & MIZRAHI LLP filed the most complaints in May with 36 lawsuits in New York.
- Most lawsuits (73%) were filed in New York with California coming in second at 19%
- We detected that 17% of litigated websites in May are using a third-party accessibility overlay tool, up 10% from April.
Stay up to date with our Monthly Lawsuit Recap
Lawsuits by Most-Targeted Industries
Consumer Discretionary15% (28)
Consumer Durables & Apparel13% (26)
Consumer Staples13% (25)
Food, Beverage & Tobacco8% (16)
Consumer Discretionary, Consumer Durables & Apparel and Consumer Staples were targeted most in May with a combined total of 79 lawsuits — 42.47% of the month's total cases. Food, Beverage, & Tobacco also appears on the list of top-five targeted industries for the second consecutive month.
Lawsuit Filings Per State
New York73% (136)
Most lawsuits (73%) were filed in New York with the second-most coming from California with 19%.
This has been the pattern for several months now, as New York has produced the highest number of website accessibility lawsuits for 13 consecutive months.
We detected that 17% of litigated websites in May are using a third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Typically overlays, or widgets, apply the third-party’s source code to the existing code of the host website in an effort to change the user experience by overriding or adding to the existing code. Overlays are often added instead of manually identifying or resolving accessibility barriers in a website’s code and design, which would generally occur during an audit or test from an accessibility subject matter expert. By not addressing the underlying cause of accessibility barriers, the effectiveness of overlays has been debated. There has also been an increase in the number of lawsuits against websites that use third-party overlays.
Plaintiffs Who Filed the Most Lawsuits
Cristian Sanchez filed 36 lawsuits in May and was the most litigious website accessibility plaintiff for four consecutive months. Three plaintiffs accounted for 41% of the month's cases.
36 lawsuits filed
- SANCHEZ v. XFIT, INC.
- SANCHEZ v. WILD ABOUT MUSIC, INC.
- SANCHEZ v. VIZ MEDIA, LLC
- SANCHEZ v. VINOVEST, INC.
- SANCHEZ v. V SHRED, LLC
- SANCHEZ v. TRADESTATION GROUP, INC
- SANCHEZ v. TOUCH OF CLASS CATALOG, INC.
- SANCHEZ v. THE RIGHT STUF, INC.
- SANCHEZ v. THE KONG COMPANY, LLC
- SANCHEZ v. TCGPLAYER, INC.
- SANCHEZ v. TABCOM, LLC
- SANCHEZ v. SUGARWISH INC.
- SANCHEZ v. SENTAI HOLDINGS, LLC
- SANCHEZ v. RITUAL COFFEE ROASTERS, INC
- SANCHEZ v. POWERDOT, INC.
- SANCHEZ v. PENSKE MEDIA CORPORATION
- SANCHEZ v. OZONE NETWORKS, INC.
- SANCHEZ v. ONCHAIN LABS, INC
- SANCHEZ v. NOURISON INDUSTRIES INC
- SANCHEZ v. NHS, INC.
- SANCHEZ v. MOTOR TREND GROUP, LLC
- SANCHEZ v. MEDI-VET ANIMAL HEALTH, L.L.C.
- SANCHEZ v. MAZDA MOTOR OF AMERICA, INC.
- SANCHEZ v. MARVEL WORLDWIDE, INC
- SANCHEZ v. LULL VENTURES, LLC
- SANCHEZ v. LAYLA SLEEP INC
- SANCHEZ v. KOVELS’ ANTIQUES, INC.
- SANCHEZ v. KF TEA USA INC
- SANCHEZ v. INTELLIGENTSIA COFFEE INC.
- SANCHEZ v. INDIGO SLEEP, LLC
- SANCHEZ v. HOLLYWOOD FEED, LLC
- SANCHEZ v. FEATHER HOME INC
- SANCHEZ v. ELECTRIC SOLIDUS LLC
- SANCHEZ v. CITIZEN SUPPLY LTD. CO.
- SANCHEZ v. ANDRE PROST, INC.
- SANCHEZ v. AMERICAN COLLEGIATE MARKETING, INC
24 lawsuits filed
- QUEZADA v. SECOND NATURE BRANDS, INC.
- QUEZADA v. RED DIAMOND, INC.,
- QUEZADA v. NICOM LIVING LLC
- QUEZADA v. MIA JEWELS ECOMMERCE CORP.
- QUEZADA v. MAYWEATHER PROMOTIONS LLC
- QUEZADA v. MAGIC SPOON INC
- QUEZADA v. HALEN BRANDS, INC
- QUEZADA v. FOODSERVICEDIRECT.COM, INC.
- QUEZADA v. FIND YOUR TRAINER, LLC
- QUEZADA v. ESPRESSO ZONE
- QUEZADA v. ELEPHANT IN A BOX, INC.
- QUEZADA v. COSTAR GROUP, INC.
- QUEZADA v. CHOICE SITTER SOLUTIONS LLC
- QUEZADA v. CENTRAL PRODUCTS, LLC
- QUEZADA v. CELESTRON ACQUISITION, LLC
- QUEZADA v. CARSON OPTICAL, INC
- QUEZADA v. CABLE NEWS NETWORK, INC
- QUEZADA v. BOTACH, INC.
- QUEZADA v. BLOCKBUSTER COSTUMES, LLC
- QUEZADA v. BENTLEY MANHATTAN INC.
- QUEZADA v. APOLLO NEUROSCIENCE, INC
- QUEZADA v. AIYA AMERICA, INC.
- QUEZADA v. A & B MILLING COMPANY
- QUEZADA v. 4 ALL PROMOS, LLC
17 lawsuits filed
- MONEGRO v. TRISTAR PRODUCTS, INC.
- MONEGRO v. TRAFFIC SAFETY STORE, INC.
- MONEGRO v. THE SEAWEED BATH CO.
- MONEGRO v. SCHYLLING INC.
- MONEGRO v. REVOLUTION TEA, LLC
- MONEGRO v. POLONIEX, LLC
- MONEGRO v. OHMNILABS, INC
- MONEGRO v. NUTS ARE GOOD! INC
- MONEGRO v. MONINI NORTH AMERICA, INC.
- MONEGRO v. INVENTIST, INC.
- MONEGRO v. HSIN TUNG YANG FOODS COMPANY
- MONEGRO v. HM BRADLEY, INC
- MONEGRO v. FERRARA MARKET, INC
- MONEGRO v. FARMER BROS. CO
- MONEGRO v. ERBAVIVA, INC
- MONEGRO v. BOYD SPECIALTIES LLC
- MONEGRO v. ALCHEMER LLC
11 lawsuits filed
- SOSA v. TIAS.COM, INC.
- SOSA v. RUBY LANE, INC.
- SOSA v. R. M. PALMER COMPANY
- SOSA v. POWERS COLLECTIBLES, LLC
- SOSA v. ORCHARD YARN AND THREAD COMPANY INC.
- SOSA v. JUST BORN, INC
- SOSA v. GOANTIQUES LLC
- SOSA v. GIANT GUMMY BEARS OF RALEIGH, LLC
- SOSA v. FERRARA CANDY COMPANY
- SOSA v. BAZZINI HOLDINGS, LLC
- SOSA v. ABDALLAH INCORPORATED
11 lawsuits filed
- FISCHLER v. WOOFTOWN DOG CO. INC
- FISCHLER v. WHOOP, INC.
- FISCHLER v. STYLEME LLC
- FISCHLER v. OBJECTSHQ LLC
- FISCHLER v. MADISON SEATING, LLC
- FISCHLER v. LAURA DAVIDSON DIRECT INC, d/b/a Laura
- FISCHLER v. GATA PACK LLC
- FISCHLER v. DORAI HOME, INC
- FISCHLER v. DAVE INC.
- FISCHLER v. AIRESPA WORLDWIDE WHOLESALE, LLC d/b/a Medify Air
Law Firms That Filed the Most Lawsuits
COHEN & MIZRAHI LLPNew York
MARS KHAIMOV LAW, PLLCNew York
STEIN SAKS, PLLCNew York
LIPSKY LOWE LLPNew York
GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATESNew York
COHEN & MIZRAHI LLP filed the most complaints in May with 36 lawsuits. MARS KHAIMOV LAW, PLLC filed the second-most suits with 24. All five of the firms that filed the most lawsuits in May are based in New York.