Monthly Website Accessibility Lawsuit Recap
- 170 website accessibility lawsuits were filed in January.
- Consumer Staples, Consumer Durables & Apparel and Consumer Discretionary were targeted most.
- 7 Plaintiffs filed 44% of the month's website accessibility lawsuits.
- MIZRAHI KROUB LLP filed the most complaints in January with 35 lawsuits in New York.
- Most lawsuits (55%) were filed in New York with California coming in second at 38%
- We detected that 12% of litigated websites in January are using a Third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Stay up to date with our Monthly Lawsuit Recap
Lawsuits by Most-Targeted Industries
Consumer Staples22% (38)
Consumer Durables & Apparel15% (26)
Consumer Discretionary14% (24)
Consumer Services11% (19)
Consumer Staples, Consumer Durables & Apparel and Consumer Discretionary were targeted most in January with a combined total of 88 lawsuits (thats 51.76%)
Lawsuit Filings Per State
New York55% (95)
We detected that 12% of litigated websites in January are using a Third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Typically overlays, or widgets, apply a third-party's source code to the existing webpage in an effort to change the user experience by overriding or altering elements of the page. Overlays are often used in-place of manual identification and resolution of accessibility barriers. Because such overlays try to hide underlying accessibility issues, their effectiveness is debated and their use seems to promote the idea that website operators need not concern themselves with the accessibility of their webpages. There has been an increase in the number of lawsuits against websites that use third-party overlays.
Plaintiffs Who Filed the Most Lawsuits
YENSY CONTRERAS is the most litigious website accessibility plaintiff, filing 18 lawsuits in January.
18 lawsuits filed
- CONTRERAS v. WHATABRANDS LLC
- CONTRERAS v. THE WINSTON BOX, LLC
- CONTRERAS v. SUREFIRE, LLC
- CONTRERAS v. STEWART CHARLEY VENTURES, LLC
- CONTRERAS v. SHELLBACK TACTICAL, LLC
- CONTRERAS v. RUGSUSA, LLC
- CONTRERAS v. PURE SEASONS, INC.
- CONTRERAS v. MIYOKO'S KITCHEN
- CONTRERAS v. KING OF SHAVES INC.
- CONTRERAS v. KALALOU, INC.
- CONTRERAS v. JL DARLING, LLC
- CONTRERAS v. FOODS ALIVE INC.
- CONTRERAS v. FIND IMPORT CORPORATION
- CONTRERAS v. DUNCRAFT, INC.
- CONTRERAS v. CAT5 COMMERCE, LLC
- CONTRERAS v. BALLSY, INC.
- CONTRERAS v. AD 4 INC.
- CONTRERAS v. 203 FRESH BODY, LLC
13 lawsuits filed
- Gomez v. VKPP, Inc.
- Gomez v. Villa Encinal Partners, L.P.
- Gomez v. Turnbull Wine Cellars
- Gomez v. The Silverado Vineyards
- Gomez v. Silenus International Group Inc.
- Gomez v. Rang Dong Joint Stock Company
- Gomez v. Nichelini Family Winery, Inc.
- Gomez v. MIPARC, Inc.
- Gomez v. J3 Wine Partners LLC
- Gomez v. HQ Winery LLC
- Gomez v. Flora Springs Wine Company
- Gomez v. Elegance Properties, LLC
- Gomez v. Black Cat Vineyard, LLC
10 lawsuits filed
- GUERRERO v. WHEELZY LLC
- GUERRERO v. UNIVERSAL BRANDS LLC
- GUERRERO v. TREASURY WINE ESTATES AMERICAS COMPANY
- GUERRERO v. ROUND ROCK BAKERY, LTD.
- GUERRERO v. MY CUBE, LLC
- GUERRERO v. MOON VALLEY NATURAL PRODUCTS LLC
- GUERRERO v. LUCID GROUP, INC.
- GUERRERO v. GREAT DIVIDE BREWING COMPANY
- GUERRERO v. DIET TO GO OF CALIFORNIA LLC
- GUERRERO v. CANOPY GROWTH USA, LLC
9 lawsuits filed
- CASTILLO v. WANTON GROUP EL SEGUNDO LLC
- CASTILLO v. UPTOWN KOOP, LLC,
- CASTILLO v. STOKEHOUSE UNLIMITED, LLC
- CASTILLO v. POLITIS INCORPORATION
- CASTILLO v. MERCADO BUENOS AIRES, INC.
- CASTILLO v. DELATORRE RESTAURANT GROUP LLC
- CASTILLO v. CAPPS III CORP.
- CASTILLO v. AMANDINE PATISSERIE CORP.
- CASTILLO v. 7 LEAVES HOLDING, INC.
9 lawsuits filed
- HEDGES v. TUDOR GAMES, INC.
- HEDGES v. SARAH’S SILKS, INC.
- HEDGES v. POTPOURRI GROUP, INC.
- HEDGES v. JOVANI FASHION LTD.
- HEDGES v. GENEXA INC.
- HEDGES v. FLAMBEAU, INC.
- HEDGES v. CHANNEL CRAFT & DISTRIBUTION, INC.
- HEDGES v. AARON’S, LLC
- HEDGES v. A & A GLOBAL INDUSTRIES, INC.
Law Firms That Filed the Most Lawsuits
MIZRAHI KROUB LLPNew York
SHAKED LAW GROUP, P.C.New York
MANNING LAW, APCCalifornia
GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATESNew York
CENTER FOR DISABILITY ACCESSCalifornia
MIZRAHI KROUB LLP filed the most complaints in January with 35 lawsuits in New York. SHAKED LAW GROUP, P.C. came in second place with 22 filings in New York.