Monthly Website Accessibility Lawsuit Recap
- 176 website accessibility lawsuits were filed in February.
- Consumer Discretionary, Consumer Durables & Apparel and Retailing were targeted most.
- 5 Plaintiffs filed 40% of the month's website accessibility lawsuits.
- MIZRAHI KROUB LLP filed the most complaints in February with 44 lawsuits in New York.
- Most lawsuits (61%) were filed in New York with California coming in second at 35%
- We detected that 10% of litigated websites in February are using a Third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Stay up to date with our Monthly Lawsuit Recap
Lawsuits by Most-Targeted Industries
Consumer Discretionary17% (30)
Consumer Durables & Apparel15% (28)
Consumer Staples11% (20)
Consumer Services7% (14)
Consumer Discretionary, Consumer Durables & Apparel and Retailing were targeted most in February with a combined total of 82 lawsuits (thats 46.6%)
Lawsuit Filings Per State
New York61% (109)
We detected that 10% of litigated websites in February are using a Third-party accessibility Overlay tool.
Typically overlays, or widgets, apply a third-party's source code to the existing webpage in an effort to change the user experience by overriding or altering elements of the page. Overlays are often used in-place of manual identification and resolution of accessibility barriers. Because such overlays try to hide underlying accessibility issues, their effectiveness is debated and their use seems to promote the idea that website operators need not concern themselves with the accessibility of their webpages. There has been an increase in the number of lawsuits against websites that use third-party overlays.
Plaintiffs Who Filed the Most Lawsuits
RUSTY RENDON is the most litigious website accessibility plaintiff, filing 20 lawsuits in February.
20 lawsuits filed
- RENDON v. WESCOM CENTRAL CREDIT UNION
- RENDON v. VARO MONEY, INC.
- RENDON v. VALLEY NATIONAL BANCORP
- RENDON v. TULA LIFE, INC.
- RENDON v. STARSKIN USA, INC.
- RENDON v. PPG INDUSTRIES, INC.
- RENDON v. LEMELSON WINERY LLC
- RENDON v. K-SWISS INC.
- RENDON v. JAMES PERSE ENTERPRISES LLC
- RENDON v. GROUP SEB USA
- RENDON v. GOLDEN CORRAL CORPORATION
- RENDON v. FIRST-CITIZENS BANK & TRUST COMPANY
- RENDON v. FINANCIAL PARTNERS CREDIT UNION
- RENDON v. FARMERS AND MERCHANTS BANK OF LONG BEACH
- RENDON v. EOS INVESTORS LLC
- RENDON v. CAMPBELL SOUP COMPANY
- RENDON v. BUCA, LLC
- RENDON v. BOSTON MARKET CORPORATION
- RENDON v. BHCOSMETICS, LLC
14 lawsuits filed
- HANYZKIEWICZ v. VP SUPPLY CORP.
- HANYZKIEWICZ v. V.S. EYE WEAR, INC.
- HANYZKIEWICZ v. UNCLE GIUSEPPE'S MELVILLE, INC.
- HANYZKIEWICZ v. THE WRIGHT STUFF, INC.
- HANYZKIEWICZ v. THE TJX COMPANIES, INC.
- HANYZKIEWICZ v. THE ACORN GROUP, INC.
- HANYZKIEWICZ v. PROFILE DEVELOPMENT, LLC
- HANYZKIEWICZ v. ESCHENBACH OPTIK OF AMERICA, INC.
- HANYZKIEWICZ v. ENHANCED VISION SYSTEMS, INC.
- HANYZKIEWICZ v. DECICCO AND SONS, LLC
- HANYZKIEWICZ v. DEBBY BURK OPTICAL, LTD.
- HANYZKIEWICZ v. CLARITY PRODUCTS, LLC
- HANYZKIEWICZ v. ALLEGIANCE RETAIL SERVICES, LLC
- HANYZKIEWICZ v. ABLENET, INC.
14 lawsuits filed
- MILLER v. VENUS OVER MANHATTAN ART LLC
- MILLER v. THE PRECIOUS METALS GROUP INC.
- MILLER v. THE M JEWELERS INC.
- MILLER v. SKINCARE INC.
- MILLER v. MEREDITH WARD FINE ART, INC.
- MILLER v. MATTHEW MARKS GALLERY, LLC
- MILLER v. MARIYAM JEWELS USA INC.
- MILLER v. LEVY GORVY LLC
- MILLER v. FIRENZE JEWELS, INC.
- MILLER v. DAVIS & LANGDALE COMPANY, INC.
- MILLER v. BORTOLAMI LLC
- MILLER v. ASCOT DIAMONDS, INC.
- MILLER v. AMERICAN GOLD & DIAMONDS, INC.
- MILLER v. ADEAM INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION
12 lawsuits filed
- ABREU v. WILEY X, INC.
- ABREU v. NP IN FAMILY HEALTH ON DEMAND 24/7 PLLC
- ABREU v. MINI MANI MOO L.L.C.
- ABREU v. MARQUE OF BRANDS AMERICAS, LLC
- ABREU v. JENKINSON'S PAVILION
- ABREU v. IT’S A NEW 10, LLC
- ABREU v. HUGGER MUGGER COMPANY INC.
- ABREU v. GLEAM HOLDINGS, INC.
- ABREU v. GARDEN COTTAGE COMPANY
- ABREU v. DASHING DIVA FRANCHISE CORP.
- ABREU v. CASTLE FOODS LLC
- ABREU v. 3 HOLDINGS, LLC
11 lawsuits filed
- ISKHAKOVA v. WOODLAKE TECHNOLOGIES, INC.
- ISKHAKOVA v. WHENEVER COMMUNICATIONS, LLC
- ISKHAKOVA v. STEWART’S SHOPS CORP.
- ISKHAKOVA v. RED WING BRANDS OF AMERICA, INC.
- ISKHAKOVA v. N.D.C. MARKETING, LLC
- ISKHAKOVA v. MCKESSON CORPORATION
- ISKHAKOVA v. KOREAN AIR LINES CO., LTD
- ISKHAKOVA v. DISH WIRELESS, LLC
- ISKHAKOVA v. BURLINGTON STORES, INC.
- ISKHAKOVA v. ASURION, LLC
- ISKHAKOVA v. ASSURANT, INC.
Law Firms That Filed the Most Lawsuits
MIZRAHI KROUB LLPNew York
PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS, APCCalifornia
GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATESNew York
STEIN SAKS, PLLCNew York
MANNING LAW, APCCalifornia
MIZRAHI KROUB LLP filed the most complaints in February with 44 lawsuits in New York. PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS, APC came in second place with 30 filings in California.