Monthly Website Accessibility Lawsuit Recap
- 153 website accessibility lawsuits were filed in April.
- Consumer Staples, Consumer Durables & Apparel and Consumer Services were targeted most.
- 6 Plaintiffs filed 43% of the month's website accessibility lawsuits.
- PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS, APC filed the most complaints in April with 50 lawsuits in California.
- Most lawsuits (50%) were filed in California with New York coming in second at 43%
- None of the litigated Websites in April seemed to employ Third-party Overlay tools.
Stay up to date with our Monthly Lawsuit Recap
Lawsuits by Most-Targeted Industries
Consumer Staples15% (24)
Consumer Durables & Apparel11% (18)
Consumer Services10% (16)
Consumer Discretionary10% (16)
Consumer Staples, Consumer Durables & Apparel and Consumer Services were targeted most in April with a combined total of 58 lawsuits (thats 37.91%)
Lawsuit Filings Per State
New York43% (67)
None of the litigated Websites in April seemed to employ Third-party Overlay tools.
Typically overlays, or widgets, apply a third-party's source code to the existing webpage in an effort to change the user experience by overriding or altering elements of the page. Overlays are often used in-place of manual identification and resolution of accessibility barriers. Because such overlays try to hide underlying accessibility issues, their effectiveness is debated and their use seems to promote the idea that website operators need not concern themselves with the accessibility of their webpages. There has been an increase in the number of lawsuits against websites that use third-party overlays.
Plaintiffs Who Filed the Most Lawsuits
LUIS LICEA is the most litigious website accessibility plaintiff, filing 20 lawsuits in April.
20 lawsuits filed
- LICEA v. SIGNATURE BANK
- LICEA v. RUMBLEON INC.
- LICEA v. RELIANCE GLOBAL GROUP INC.
- LICEA v. REKOR SYSTEMS, INC.
- LICEA v. NIFTY GATEWAY, LLC
- LICEA v. MIZUNO USA, INC.
- LICEA v. LIMELIGHT NETWORKS, INC.
- LICEA v. LIDO ADVISORS, LLC
- LICEA v. LAMPSUSA, LLC
- LICEA v. ITT INC.
- LICEA v. INSPIRED BEAUTY BRANDS, INC.
- LICEA v. FORTESSA TABLEWARE SOLUTIONS LLC
- LICEA v. EPIK INC.
- LICEA v. CLEAN CLOTHES INC.
- LICEA v. CEDAR-CREST SPECIALTIES, INC.
- LICEA v. CARING BRANDS, INC.
- LICEA v. BLOOMEFFECTS, INC.
- LICEA v. AUTONATION, INC.
- LICEA v. ATALLAH GROUP US INC.
- LICEA v. ANDY & EVAN INDUSTRIES, INC.
11 lawsuits filed
- RENDON v. WSFS FINANCIAL CORPORATION
- RENDON v. WOODWAY USA, INC.
- RENDON v. REGENERON PHARMACEUTICALS, INC.
- RENDON v. QUAD/GRAPHICS, INC.
- RENDON v. PINNACLE BANK
- RENDON v. PIEDMONT LITHIUM INC.
- RENDON v. NEWMONT CORPORATION
- RENDON v. NEOGENOMICS LABORATORIES, INC.
- RENDON v. ISUN, INC.
- RENDON v. IHEARTMEDIA, INC.
- RENDON v. HOLLYWOOD PARK CASINO COMPANY, LLC
11 lawsuits filed
- MAGENO v. YNAP CORPORATION
- MAGENO v. TELESCENTS, INC.
- MAGENO v. RECIPE PRODUCTS LTD USA
- MAGENO v. RAMONAS FOOD GROUP LLC
- MAGENO v. LEFT WING INC
- MAGENO v. KIWICO, INC.
- MAGENO v. KIINI LLC
- MAGENO v. FROGS ORGANIC BAKERY, INC.
- MAGENO v. DAN SANTA MONICA LLC
- MAGENO v. D & L KENNEY, INC.
- MAGENO v. CT KATSU BAR LLC
11 lawsuits filed
- MEJICO v. SYMES MOTORS, INC.
- MEJICO v. NEW CENTURY ALHAMBRA AUTOMOBILE, INC.
- MEJICO v. M20 Marine, INC
- MEJICO v. LIFE360, INC.
- MEJICO v. LEBO AUTOMOTIVE, INC.
- MEJICO v. KICKSTARTER PBC CALIFORNIA INC.
- MEJICO v. FRESH WATER SYSTEMS, INC.
- MEJICO v. DWWA, INC.
- MEJICO v. CONNELL CHEVROLET
- MEJICO v. CLASSPASS USA LLC
- MEJICO v. CAREY INTERNATIONAL, INC.
KEVIN YAN LUIS
8 lawsuits filed
- LUIS v. WILSON SPORTING GOODS CO.
- LUIS v. THE YANKEE CANDLE COMPANY, INC.
- LUIS v. MARRIOTT INTERNATIONAL, INC.
- LUIS v. GOORIN BROS., INC.
- LUIS v. FANTASIA TRADING, LLC
- LUIS v. DESIGN WITHIN REACH, INC.
- LUIS v. BIG WALL DÉCOR, LLC
- LUIS v. 13 SCENTS, INC.
Law Firms That Filed the Most Lawsuits
PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS, APCCalifornia
STEIN SAKS, PLLCNew York
MANNING LAW, APCCalifornia
GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATESNew York
MARCUS & ZELMAN, LLCNew York
PACIFIC TRIAL ATTORNEYS, APC filed the most complaints in April with 50 lawsuits in California. STEIN SAKS, PLLC came in second place with 23 filings in New York.