Monthly Website Accessibility Lawsuit Recap
- 177 website accessibility lawsuits were filed in April.
- Consumer Durables & Apparel, Consumer Discretionary and Consumer Staples were targeted most.
- Six plaintiffs filed 42% of the month's website accessibility lawsuits.
- GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATES filed the most complaints in April with 30 lawsuits in New York.
- Most lawsuits (70%) were filed in New York with California coming in second at 24%
- We detected that 7% of litigated websites in April are using a third-party accessibility overlay tool.
Stay up to date with our Monthly Lawsuit Recap
Lawsuits by Most-Targeted Industries
Consumer Durables & Apparel19% (35)
Consumer Discretionary14% (26)
Consumer Staples12% (23)
Health Care Equipment & Services11% (20)
Food, Beverage & Tobacco9% (16)
Consumer industries remained the most targeted in April.
Consumer Durables & Apparel, Consumer Discretionary, and Consumer Staples saw a combined total of 84 lawsuits, accounting for 47.5% of all cases. Health Care Equipment & Services and Food, Beverage & Tobacco industries also combined for 20% of the month's total.
Lawsuit Filings Per State
New York70% (124)
For now the twelfth month in a row, New York saw the highest number of lawsuits, registering 124 (70%) in April.
California produced 24% of the month's cases, while Florida, Indiana, and Connecticut had 10 combined.
We detected that 7% of litigated websites in April are using a third-party accessibility overlay tool.
Typically overlays, or widgets, apply the third-party’s source code to the existing code of the host website in an effort to change the user experience by overriding or adding to the existing code. Overlays are often added instead of manually identifying or resolving accessibility barriers in a website’s code and design, which would generally occur during an audit or test from an accessibility subject matter expert. By not addressing the underlying cause of accessibility barriers, the effectiveness of overlays has been debated. There has also been an increase in the number of lawsuits against websites that use third-party overlays.
Plaintiffs Who Filed the Most Lawsuits
Cristian Sanchez is the most litigious website accessibility plaintiff, filing 27 lawsuits in April.
27 lawsuits filed
- Sanchez v. VIRTUOUS VICES LLC
- Sanchez v. TOYOTA MOTOR SALES U.S.A., INC.
- Sanchez v. SYNAPSE GROUP, INC.
- Sanchez v. SEAHORSE & GAZELLE, INC.
- Sanchez v. PURITY ORGANIC, INC.
- Sanchez v. Perani, Inc.
- Sanchez v. PANDA PLATES INC.
- Sanchez v. ONYX ENTERPRISES INT’L, CORP.
- Sanchez v. NYC BIKE SHARE, LLC
- Sanchez v. NUTRAMARKS, INC.
- Sanchez v. MMM CONSUMER BRANDS INC.
- Sanchez v. MEIOS, INC.
- Sanchez v. MAPLE HOLISTICS LLC
- Sanchez v. LADDER, LLC
- Sanchez v. INFINITY 1 INCORPORATED
- Sanchez v. HiDive LLC
- Sanchez v. GRANDMA LUCY’S LLC
- Sanchez v. GOAT MILK STUFF LLC
- Sanchez v. FORMA SUPPLY CO LLC
- Sanchez v. Fit Snack, LLC
- Sanchez v. FETCH! PET CARE, INC.
- Sanchez v. Cruise.com, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Crackle Plus, LLC
- Sanchez v. Coinigy, Inc.
- Sanchez v. Blockfi Inc.
- Sanchez v. BITGO, INC.
- Sanchez v. BETTER HOLDCO, INC.
11 lawsuits filed
- MONEGRO v. TIEGE HANLEY, LLC
- MONEGRO v. The Wrap News, Inc.
- MONEGRO v. STREET INSIDER DOT COM INC.
- MONEGRO v. STASH FINANCIAL, INC.
- MONEGRO v. SQUARE ONE ENTERTAINMENT, INC.
- MONEGRO v. ROCK ‘EM APPAREL CO.
- MONEGRO v. OUTPUT, INC.
- MONEGRO v. MEZCO TOYZ, LLC
- MONEGRO v. JAPAN CRATE, LLC
- MONEGRO v. I-BLADES, INC.
- MONEGRO v. GRAMR, INC.
10 lawsuits filed
- SOSA v. Tootsie Roll Industries, LLC
- SOSA v. THE ART OF TEA, LLC
- SOSA v. SWEET SHOP CANDIES, INC.
- SOSA v. SWEET SERVICES, INC.
- SOSA v. SOKOLIN LLC
- SOSA v. MILLIONAIRE GALLERY, INC.
- SOSA v. LINK SNACKS, INC.
- SOSA v. Gallery Of History, Inc.
- SOSA v. Frans Chocolates, LTD
- SOSA v. Candy Nation LLC
10 lawsuits filed
- FISCHLER v. VESSEL BRAND, INC.
- FISCHLER v. Verb Energy Inc.
- FISCHLER v. SKULL SHAVER LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY
- FISCHLER v. RealSleep Inc.
- FISCHLER v. PRIVATE STOCK LABS GN, LLC
- FISCHLER v. ONEBLADE, INC.
- FISCHLER v. MAGIC SPOON INC.
- FISCHLER v. LUVV LABS, LLC
- FISCHLER v. LK DESIGN, LLC d/b/a Willow & Albert Home
- FISCHLER v. Apothekary Inc.
9 lawsuits filed
- TENZER-FUCHS v. VRAI & ORO, LLC
- TENZER-FUCHS v. RARE CARAT, INC.
- TENZER-FUCHS v. OBVIOUS WINES, LLC
- TENZER-FUCHS v. NESTLE WATERS NORTH AMERICA : HOLDINGS, INC., D/B/A : READYREFRESH.COM
- TENZER-FUCHS v. MINDVALLEY, INC.
- TENZER-FUCHS v. MAPLEBEAR, INC. D/B/A INSTACART.COM
- TENZER-FUCHS v. FOUR MINE, INC., D/B/A : WITHCLARITY.COM
- TENZER-FUCHS v. EREDI PISANO USA, INC.
- TENZER-FUCHS v. CETTIRE, INC.
Law Firms That Filed the Most Lawsuits
GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATESNew York
Pacific Trial AttorneysCalifornia
COHEN & MIZRAHI LLPNew York
LIPSKY LOWE LLPNew York
MARS KHAIMOV LAW, PLLCNew York
GOTTLIEB & ASSOCIATES filed the most complaints in April with 30 lawsuits in New York. Pacific Trial Attorneys were right behind with 29 filings in California.